About Me

My photo
Like many of you I am a busy mom...a SAHM. I certainly keep busy with my 101 hobbies. I plan to start preschool at home this fall with my daughter. I taught elementary school and have a Master's degree in Reading. I miss teaching, but look forward to homeschool.

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Petit Fores....(My first try)

Mmmm cake! Who doesn't love a new cake recipe? This recipe was a very simple and not a fancy version of the petit fore.
First, I baked a white cake in a jelly roll pan. After the thin cake was baked and cooled I sliced it in 1-2 inch squares. (The bigger squares did much better.) Once the cake is mostly cooled off you can prepare the icing. Oh, the icing is amazing! Here's the recipe so go get a pen........

Icing: 2lbs powdered sugar, 1/2 cup milk, 1/2-3/4 cup heavy whipping cream, 1/2ts vanilla.
Yep, that is it! Now let me warn you that these cakes are not the most beautiful. I am a perfectionist and it drove me crazy that these little treats were so messy and imperfect, but once you eat one you forget about the bumps and lumps. We coated the cakes 2 times for 2 reasons; the cakes were not completely covered the first time and because the icing is so yummy!

We left the cakes on the cooling racks to allow for all the drips to stop. In a perfect world I would have had the energy to make some royal icing in pretty colors and decorate them, but my 2 year old woke up and mommy's fun was over. Although we did get to eat them!!!

5 comments:

  1. I'll be picking up the ingredients for this cake today and making it tonight!

    Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will love it! So easy and way to yummy! Let me know how they turn out. I didn't mention this in the recipe, but let them air dry a little before putting a second coat of icing on them. It takes about 20 mins or so for them to get dry to the touch. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't able to make it like I wanted, at least not yet. I knew I had some heavy whipping cream, so I didn't buy any. But when I got home and pulled it out, it was expired. :( The plan is to pick some up this weekend and make it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I have been wanting to make them again. I wonder what other variations we could come up with. My husband requested chocolate cake with peanut butter icing drizzled all over. I'll post them if I make them again. They are so yummy. A little messy, okay- a lot messy..but so worth it. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete